Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thoughts on Podcasts

Exploring iTunes podcasts has opened up a whole new world. There is an endless amount of information, entertainment and even education. The idea of college classes being available for free on iTunesU is very interesting. There really seems to be no end to the amount of knowledge one can acquire if willing.
My husband first taught me about iTunes when he showed me that our favorite talk radio programs had been stored there and we could listen to them anytime. I loved that if I had missed a program, I could download it to my MP3 and listen at my convenience.
One of my favorite programs is "The Gesalt Gardner" with Felder Rushing. He is a horticulturalist in Mississippi who takes calls and answers questions regarding southern gardening. We also enjoy "Car Talk", an entertaining couple of brothers that takes calls and answer questions about car troubles. "The Dave Ramsey Show" delivers much advice about finance and its host, Dave Ramsey, is the author of several books about the subject, including "Financial Peace" and "The Total Money Makeover".
Using podcasts as part of the elementary classroom is a new idea to me. I probably will subscribe to the "SmartBoard Lessons Podcasts" and "Teachers Connecting Podcast". These are great resources for ways to use technology in the classroom. I don't think that I would ever come up with many of these ideas on my own.

1 comment: