Friday, September 11, 2009

Thoughts on "Is it Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?" by Karl Fisch

Mr. Karl Fisch has a very passionate opinion, that "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." I tend to agree with mferrill who said in a comment "My point is not that teachers shouldn’t make the effort to use technology, but teachers can still be effective using other tools. And don’t worry—the technology will take care of itself. Younger teachers have grown up with it so they will incorporate it into their lessons naturally."
I'm a non-traditional student and ,unlike my younger college classmates, I have not been using all the social networks and other tools of technology in my own life. EDM310 has been an eye opener and a wonderful challenge for me. Just as mferrill commented, as new teachers like myself go into the classrooms, they will take the technologies they have learned and incorporate them as teaching tools.

1 comment:

  1. Well, unfortunately, there is not much modeling of teaching using technologies that you encounter in your classes. And the world is changing so rapidly that I do not agree "technology will take care of itself." It may with the kids, but not with the teachers.

    ReplyDelete