Friday, September 25, 2009

Thoughts on "What I've learned this Year"

picture of a basket of apples

According to Harry Wong, author of my classroom management textbook The First Days of School, three characteristics of an effective classroom teacher are: classroom management, teaching for mastery and positive expectations. Mr McClung is right in reminding new teachers not to "become upset when they (the students) do not meet the expectation". We should set goals high enough for challenge and success.
I'm grateful for the reminder not to worry so much about my lesson plan, but focus on my students. Mr. McClung stated, "NO LESSON IS EVER PERFECT. THE LESSON YOU TEACH AND THE ONE YOU PLAN ARE ALWAYS DIFFERENT" and "in order to be effective you have to be able to let your audience drive your instruction." My students need me to listen to them and help them achieve, not just carry out the lesson plan.
Very soon, when I am standing in a classroom full of students and it is my job to be their teacher, I am going to try to remember that I am "performing in front of a crowd that struggles remembering what they brought for lunch that day" and try not to be nervous. Smile.

1 comment: